A Microsoft Office product key is a 25 characters code that is used to activate Office and Microsoft 365 and helps verify that Office Setup has not been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow.
If your Office 2019 or Microsoft 365 purchase came with a product key, enter it on www.office.com/setup to download and install Office or Microsoft 365, or go to office.com/renew to renew your Microsoft 365 subscription.
Example of an Office or Microsoft 365 product key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Microsoft 365, Office 2019, Office 2016, and Office 2013 (PC and Mac)
If you purchased a brand-new, never-used product key:
If you have a brand-new, never-before-used product key, go to office.com/setup and follow the on-screen instructions.
If you purchased Office from the Microsoft Store:
If you bought Office from the Microsoft Store, enter your product key there.
- Visit the Microsoft Store. Select Sign in in the upper right-hand corner and enter the user ID and password you used to purchase Office.
- After signing in, click on your name in the upper right-hand corner, and then click on Order History.
- Locate the Office one-time purchase or individual Office app, and then choose Install Office to view your product key (this does not install Office).
- In the window where the product code appears, select Install Office once more.
- On the Hi. Let’s get your Office page, then follow the prompts to link your product key to your Microsoft account and begin the installation process.
To redeem a new purchase:
Step #2: Sign in using your Microsoft account or create one if you don’t already have one. Remember this account so that you can later instal or reinstall Office without a product code.
Important: When renewing your Microsoft 365 subscription, use the Microsoft account that is linked to your subscription. I can’t remember where I put my Microsoft account.
Step #3: If prompted, enter your product key without hyphens. If you don’t see the option to enter your product key, it was entered automatically.
Step #4: Finish the redemption process by following the prompts.
To install or reinstall Office, follow these steps:
- When you enter your product key on office.com/setup, and you notice an error that This product key has already been used, it means your product key has already been redeemed and is no longer required.
- Instead, sign in to account.microsoft.com with your Microsoft account and install your Office product.
Author: Jace Mrazz is a Microsoft Office expert with 5 years of experience in the technology industry. He has written technical and SEO blogs, white papers, and reviews for a variety of websites.